Sunday, 13 November 2016

Haunted Montreal Blog #19 - The Ghost of L'Esplanade Street

[Français ci-dessous]

Welcome to the nineteenth installment of the Haunted Montreal Blog! Released on the 13th of every month, the November 2016 edition focuses on research we are carrying out into a ghostly soldier who is known to roam L'Esplanade Street in the Plateau borough. With the Hallowe'en Season officially over, Haunted Montreal is moving into its winter mode and is not offering any more public tours until May, 2017. Stay tuned for some of the ideas we are planning for the winter months!


Jeanne Mance Park is one of the best places in Montreal for ghost sightings. Occasionally, residents even set up lawn chairs in the evening on the south-eastern slope of the park on L'Esplande Street, waiting for the apparition to arrive.

There have been many reports, some of them recent, about a mysterious ghostly soldier who has been seen limping in the area. Witnesses have reported seeing him walking with a cane up a long set of wooden stairs, and entering to one of the old homes at the dimly-lit southern end of l'Esplanade Street.

Jeanne Mance Park was once called Fletcher’s Field. The history of this park began at the end of the 19th century with the planning of Mount Royal Park.

The city’s acquisition of land for Mount Royal Park included the summit of the mountain to Esplanade Avenue, between Pine Avenue to the south and Mount Royal Avenue to the north. Fletcher’s Field was originally designed for military parading, however, it had many other uses.

In 1878, Montreal's Crystal Palace, a gigantic piece of architecture that appeared to be made entirely of glass, was relocated to Fletcher's Field from the downtown area.

Crystal Palace had originally stood at the corner of Ste. Catherine and University Streets. It was inspired by a much vaster building of the same name that was erected in London, England for the Universal Exhibition of 1851. It had the same barrel-vaulted shape and iron-girder framework, but Montreal's version was a mere tenth the size London's at just 56 meters long, plus it had brick and not glass walls due to the Canadian winter. When Crystal Palace originally opened in Montreal, it exhibited products such as textiles, furniture, machinery, food, and Canadian art.

It was moved due to issues with land ownership. McGill University owned the land beneath and when the board and the university couldn't agree in 1877 on a price for this property, the Quebec government stepped in and purchased it on behalf of the board for $80,000. Crystal Palace was dismantled and re-erected on the newly established fairground on Fletcher's Field. Its new purpose was to form an Exhibition Grounds, this time near Mount Royal Avenue.

Fletcher’s Field was also a notable source of Henbane, according to the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. The psychoactive and somewhat poisonous plant, also known as Hyoscyamus niger, produces hallucinations and feelings of flight when ingested, no doubt providing some residents with endless opportunities to indulge in the substance.

To the south of the field is Montreal’s oldest hospital: Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal. It was originally founded in what is now Old Montreal, by Jeanne Mance, on October 8, 1645. Jeanne Mance was the first nurse in New France, arriving in 1642 with colonists to establish the religious settlement of Ville-Marie. Sponsored by the “Notre Dame Society for the Conversion of the Savage Peoples”, Jeanne Mance built the hospital to treat injured colonists, soldiers and converted native inhabitants during the wars with the local Mohawk First Nation, on whose territory the colony was built.

Over the years, the Hôtel-Dieu hospital suffered three fires, but it continued to grow with the city's increasing population. In 1861, the hospital moved to its present site near Mount Royal. Not only was the old location near the river getting too dense and overcrowded, but the fresh mountain air was also seen as being important for healing.

When  the living nuns and patients move to new hospital on the mountain they also took all of the remains of the deceased nuns, who were transferred to the chapel of the new Hôtel-Dieu. 178 nuns had died over the span of two centuries, however only 23 coffins were needed to carry all the dusty bones to the new location. They are still there.

In 1910, at the time of the Congrès eucharistique de Montréal (Montreal Eucharistic Congress), devout Catholics demanded that the park pay homage to Jeanne Mance as the founder of the first Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal by renaming the greenspace temporarily. The new name for Fletcher's Field proved so popular that the City of Montreal made the name change officially permanent in 1990.

Returning to the ghost of L’Esplanade Street, according to one recent source: “His apparition is a bit striking, as you notice the details of his walking slowly with a cane up the wooden steps, one at a time. If you're lucky, you just might see him entering into one of the buildings, located in the more dimly-lit section of that street closer to Duluth Street. Just sit in the park across the street, and wait.”

There are many theories about who the ghostly soldier might be. While some online rumours suggest the military apparition is of French stock, others believe he is British. One feasible theory takes us back to 1885, when Montreal was in the midst of a smallpox epidemic.

During the era, smallpox was seen as the worst possible disease. Not only was it extremely infectious, but it could disfigure and even destroy people within a week or two. Infection was caused by breathing contaminated air or touching something that had been in contact with the variola virus.

Following a 12 day incubation period, tiny red pustules would appear on the victim, and eventually spread all over the body. These would soon burst and begin oozing pus and ravaging the body. In about a third of cases, the disease killed its victim with days. In cases of survival, the victim was often left disabled and permanently disfigured, with deep pock marks replacing the old pustules once they had healed.

In 1885, Montreal’s smallpox epidemic was so bad that they had to re-open the smallpox hospital at the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal to isolate patients to try to stop the spread of the disease. The smallpox hospital had been built during another epidemic in 1872 and was shuttered several years later, in 1875. By 1885, it was seen as run down and many citizens did not want to send their sick relatives there.

Officials began concocting a new plan to deal with the crisis. When the number of patients rose dramatically, the buildings in the Exhibition Grounds to the north of Fletcher’s Field were commandeered. In hopes of assuaging the fear of the citizens, authorities converted one of the provincial exhibition buildings into a clean and spacious temporary smallpox hospital.

However, local residents were terrified of this disease and those who lived near the Exhibition Grounds protested vigorously with a large scale riot.

The army was called in to quash the unrest and keep order. They were instructed to guard the new temporary hospital buildings. This was an assignment many soldier feared due to the high risk of contracting smallpox.

In 1885, thousands of people died of smallpox in Montreal before the winter finally snuffed out the virus. It was to be the last time the disease ravaged the city, but not before taking a terrible toll. Overall, 9,600 people contracted smallpox in the administrative territory of Montreal, and 3,234 of them perished. Out of a population of about 167,000 citizens, approximately 2% of Montrealers were killed by the horrifying disease.

Following the epidemic, it wasn't long before the smallpox hospital in the Exhibition Grounds was closed. Just over a decade later, in July of 1896, the Exhibition buildings that sheltered the temporary smallpox hospital were destroyed by a fiery inferno that had accidentally been started when tramps squatting on the property emptied a tobacco pipe that was still smoldering, sparking the blaze.

While there is little evidence today of this tragic episode in Montreal’s history, perhaps the mysterious ghost of the limping soldier is the best reminder of our smallpox history. Because of the highly contagious nature of smallpox, many of the soldiers guarding the Exhibition Grounds contracted the disease themselves. As such, there is speculation that the ghostly soldier who haunts L’Esplanade Street could very well be one of the old hospital guards who was debilitated by smallpox in 1885 while on duty. Why he is seen going up a flight of long wooden stairs is anyone's guess.


With the Hallowe'en Season now over, Haunted Montreal is moving into winter mode, meaning there will be no more public tours until May, 2017. Private tours are still available for groups of 10 or more people, subject to the availability of our actors and weather conditions.

We are going to try and develop some activities for the winter, such as haunted pub crawls and ghost investigations in haunted buildings. If you have any suggestions for haunted activities during the winter months, please contact

We also plan to improve and upgrade our website and blog to make them more manageable and user-friendly.

A big thank you to all of our clients who attended a Haunted Montreal ghost walk during the 2016 season! If you enjoyed the experience, we encourage you to write a review on our Tripadvisor page, something that helps Haunted Montreal to market its tours.

Coming up on December 13: Mount Royal Cemetery Ghosts

Located high up on the slopes of Mount Royal, the Protestant Mount Royal Cemetery is rumoured to be one of the most haunted places in Montreal and is often described as a City of the Dead overlooking a City of the Living. Haunted Montreal recently received an anonymous letter from a person who had a terrifying experience in the graveyard. The letter-writer claims that a spirit followed him or her home. After going to sleep, the author was woken up by a ghostly male figure who was quietly uttering his or her name. Drenched in sweat from fear, the letter-writer found the strength to turn on the light, only to realize there was nobody present. In telling Haunted Montreal the story, the author joins a long list of others who have experienced ghostly and paranormal activity in the Protestant Mount Royal Cemetery.

Donovan King is a historian, teacher and professional actor. As the founder of Haunted Montreal, he combines his skills to create the best possible Montreal ghost stories, in both writing and theatrical performance. King holds a DEC (Professional Theatre Acting, John Abbot College), BFA (Drama-in-Education, Concordia), B.Ed (History and English Teaching, McGill) and MFA (Theatre Studies, University of Calgary).


Le fantôme de l’Avenue de l’Esplanade

Bienvenue au dix-neuvième article du blogue de Montréal hanté ! Nos articles sont publiés le 13 de chaque mois. Dans l’édition de novembre, nous focalisons nos recherches sur un soldat spectral connu pour sa promenade le long de l’Avenue de l’Esplanade sur le Plateau Mont-Royal. La saison de l’Halloween officiellement terminée, Montréal hanté entre en mode hivernal et n’offre plus de visite publiques avant le mois de mai 2017. Restez au courant de ce que nous planifions pour les mois d’hiver.


Le parc Jeanne-Mance est un des meilleurs endroits à Montréal pour voir des fantômes. Parfois, le soir, les résidents s’assoient dans leur chaise de jardin sur la pente sud-est du parc sur de l’Esplanade et attendent que l’apparition arrive.

Il y a eu plusieurs rapports, certains plus récents, d’un mystérieux soldat clopinant dans les environs. Les témoins ont dit l’avoir vu marcher avec une canne en haut des longs escaliers de bois et entrer dans une des vielles maisons dans la partie sombre du bout de la rue.

Autrefois, le parc Jeanne-Mance s’appelait Fletcher’s Field. L’histoire du parc a commencé à la fin du dix-neuvième siècle avec la planification du parc du Mont-Royal.

L’acquisition du terrain qu’en fit la ville incluait le sommet du mont jusqu’à l’Avenue de l’Esplanade, allant de l’Avenue des Pins au sud à l’Avenue du Mont-Royal au nord. À l’origine, Fletcher’s Field avait été conçu pour les parades militaires, toutefois il eut maint autres usages.

En 1878, le Crystal Palace de Montréal, une pièce d’architecture gigantesque qui semblait être faite entièrement de verre, fut transféré du centre-ville à Fletcher’s Field.

Situé à l’origine sur l’angle des rues Sainte-Catherine et University, le Crystal Palace fut inspiré par un autre édifice plus vaste qui avait été construit à Londres en Angleterre pour l’exposition universelle de 1851. Il avait la même forme de voûte en berceau et structure de poutres de fer, mais la version montréalaise, à peine 56 mètres de longueur, n’avait en dimension qu’un dixième de celui de Londres, en plus ses murs étaient en brique et non en verre dû à l’hiver canadien. Quand le Crystal Palace ouvrit à Montréal, il exhiba des produits tels que les textiles, les meubles, la machinerie, la nourriture et l’art canadien.

On le déménagea à cause d’un problème de propriété. L’Université McGill possédait le terrain, et quand le conseil et l’Université ne purent s’entendre sur le coût de la propriété en 1877, le gouvernement du Québec trancha l’affaire et l’acheta au nom du conseil pour 80 000 $. Le Crystal Palace fut démonté et re-monté sur le champ de foire de Fletcher’s Field. Sa nouvelle vocation était de former un terrain d’exposition, cette fois près de l’Avenue du Mont-Royal.

Fletcher’s Field fut aussi une source notable d’herbe aux poules selon la Société pharmaceutique de la Grande Bretagne. La plante psychoactive et quelque peu vénéneuse, connue aussi sous le nom de Hyoscyamus niger, produit des hallucinations et des sentiments de légèreté lorsqu’elle est ingérée, donnant sans doute à ces mangeurs des opportunités infinies de se gâter avec la substance.

Au sud du parc est le plus vieil hôpital de la ville : l’Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal. À l’origine, Jeanne Mance le fonda dans ce qui est maintenant le Vieux Montréal, le 8 octobre 1645. Jeanne Mance fut la première infirmière de la Nouvelle-France, arrivant en 1642 avec les colons pour établir le village de Ville-Marie. Subventionnée par la Société de Notre-Dame de Montréal pour la conversion des Sauvages de la Nouvelle-France », Jeanne Mance fit construire l’hôpital pour traiter les colons blessés, les soldats et les autochtones convertis durant la guerre avec la Première Nation des Agniers, sur le territoire desquels la colonie fut construite.

Au fil des ans, l’hôpital de l’Hôtel-Dieu subit trois incendies, mais il continua de croître avec la population de la ville. En 1861, l’hôpital vint s’installer sur son site actuel près du Mont-Royal. Son dernier emplacement près du fleuve ne devenait pas seulement trop dense et surpeuplé, mais l’air frais du mont était vu comme un atout pour la guérison.

Quand les Soeurs et les patients déménagèrent au nouvel hôpital sur le mont, ils prirent tous les restes des Soeurs décédées et les transférèrent à la chapelle du nouvel Hôtel-Dieu. Sur plus de deux siècles 178 religieuses étaient mortes. Toutefois, 23 cercueils seulement furent requis pour y emporter les vieux os poussiéreux ; ils sont toujours là.

En 1910, lors du Congrès eucharistique de Montréal, des catholiques fervents demandèrent que le parc fît hommage à Jeanne Mance en tant que première fondatrice de l’Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal en renommant temporairement l’espace vert. Le nouveau nom pour Fletcher’s Field imposa une telle popularité que la Ville de Montréal en fit officiellement le changement de nom en 1990.

Revenant au fantôme de l’Avenue de l’Esplanade, selon une source plus récente : « Son apparition est un peu frappante quand tu remarques les détails de sa marche lente avec sa canne, en haut des escaliers, un à la fois. Si tu as de la chance, tu le verras peut-être entrer dans un des édifices, localisé dans la section la plus ombreuse de cette rue, plus près de la rue Duluth. Assois-toi dans le parc et attend. »

Il y a plusieurs théories sur l’identité du soldat spectral. Certaines rumeurs en ligne suggèrent que l’apparition militaire serait de souche française, d’autres croient qu’elle serait britannique. Une théorie plausible nous ramène en 1885 au temps où Montréal était en pleine épidémie de la variole.

À cette époque, cette maladie était vue comme étant la pire possible. Non seulement était-elle extrêmement contagieuse, mais elle pouvait aussi défigurer, voire tuer le monde en quelques semaines. L’infection était causée en respirant de l’air contaminé ou en touchant à quelque chose qui avait été en contact avec le virus de la variole.

Après une période d’incubation de 12 jours, de petits pustules rouges apparaissent et se répandent éventuellement sur tout le corps. Celles-ci, tôt ou tard, éclatent, laissant couler du pus en ravageant le corps. Dans un tiers des cas, la maladie tue ses victimes en quelques jours. Dans les cas de survie, la victime, une fois guérie, est souvent laissée handicapée et défigurée avec des marques profondes là où avaient été les pustules.

En 1885, l’épidémie de la variole était si grande qu’il fallut rouvrir l’hôpital de la variole à l’Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal afin d’isoler les patients et d’essayer d’arrêter la propagation de la maladie. L’hôpital des varioleux avait été construit lors d’une autre épidémie en 1872, puis fermé plusieurs années plus tard en 1875. Vers 1885, l’endroit était perçu comme désuet et beaucoup de citoyens ne voulaient pas y envoyer leur parenté malade.

Les responsables commencèrent à concocter un nouveau plan pour gérer la crise. Quand le nombre de patients augmenta dramatiquement, les bâtiments du parc d’exposition au nord de Fletcher’s Field furent réquisitionnés. Dans l’espoir d’apaiser les peurs des gens, les responsables convertirent un des bâtiments provinciaux de l’exposition en hôpital propre et spacieux.

Toutefois, les résidents du coin étaient terrifiés par la maladie, et ceux qui vivaient près de l’exposition protestèrent vigoureusement par une émeute à grande échelle.

Et l’armée fut appelée pour écraser les troubles et ramener l’ordre. Aussi devait-elle garder le nouvel hôpital temporaire. C’était une mission crainte par plusieurs soldats à cause du risque élevé de contracter la variole.

En 1885, des milliers de personnes moururent de la variole à Montréal avant que l’hiver étouffât enfin le virus. C’était la dernière fois que la maladie ravagerait la ville, mais non sans sonner un glas terrible. En tout, 9 600 personnes contractèrent la variole sur le territoire administratif de Montréal, et 3234 d’entre eux en moururent. Sur une population de 167 000 citoyens, environ 2 % périrent de l’horrible maladie.

Suite à l’épidémie, il s’en fallut peu que l’hôpital des varioleux sur le terrain de l’exposition fût fermé. À peine une décennie plus tard, en juillet 1896, les bâtiments de l’exposition qui avaient servi à l’hôpital temporaire furent détruits dans un incendie qui avait commencé quand des vagabonds, squattant sur la propriété, vidèrent une pipe de tabac encore fumant, allumant le feu.

Bien qu’il y ait peu de preuve aujourd’hui de cet épisode dans l’histoire de Montréal, peut-être que le mystérieux fantôme du soldat boiteux est l’ultime rappel de notre histoire avec la variole. À cause de sa nature contagieuse, plusieurs soldats, qui avaient gardé le parc d’exposition, avaient contracté eux mêmes la maladie. Il y a donc spéculation que le soldat spectral qui hante l’avenue de l’Esplanade pourrait très bien être un des gardiens qui, en 1885, avait été débilité par la variole, défiguré, puis tué en faisait son travail.

Pourquoi monte-t-il les marches ? Les paris sont ouverts !


La saison de l’Halloween officiellement terminée, Montréal hanté entre en mode hivernal et n’offre plus de visites publiques avant le mois de mai 2017. Cependant, les visites privées sont toujours disponibles pour les groupes de 10 personnes et plus, selon la disponibilité de nos raconteurs et les conditions météorologiques.

Nous tenterons de développer des activités hivernales telles que les traîne-bars et les enquêtes paranormales des édifices hantés. Si vous avez des suggestions d’activités hivernales, veuillez contacter :

Nous planifions également de mettre à jour et d’améliorer notre site et blogue pour qu’ils soient plus conviviaux et pratiques.

Un grand merci à tous nos clients de la saison 2016 qui ont participé aux visites de Montréal hanté !

Si vous avez apprécié votre expérience, nous vous encourageons à en partager vos pensées sur Tripadvisor, ce qui aide Montréal hanté à promouvoir ses visites.

À venir le 13 décembre : les fantômes du cimetière Mont-Royal.

Situé au sommet des pentes du Mont-Royal, le cimetière protestant est supposément un des endroits les plus hantés de Montréal, et souvent il est décrit comme la ville des Morts surplombant la ville des Vivants. Montréal hanté reçut récemment une lettre anonyme d’une personne qui eut une expérience terrifiante dans le cimetière. La lettre prétend qu’un esprit l’avait suivi chez elle ou lui. Après s’être endormi, l’auteur fut réveillé par une silhouette masculine terrifiante qui murmurait son nom. Trempé de sueur froide à cause de la peur, l’auteur trouva la force d’allumer la lumière seulement pour constater qu’il n’y avait personne. En nous racontant son histoire, l’auteur se joint à la longue liste de gens qui ont eu des expériences paranormales dans le cimetière protestant du Mont-Royal.

Donovan King est un historien, enseignant et acteur professionnel. En tant que fondateur de Montréal hanté, il unit ses talents pour trouver les meilleures histoires de fantômes montréalais, et les livrer par l’écriture et le jeu d’acteur. King déteint un DEC (Interprétation, Collège John Abbot), BFA (Drama-inEducation, Concordia), B.Ed (Histoire et Enseignement de l’anglais, McGill) et une MFA (Études théâtrales, Université de Calgary).

1 comment:

  1. I have seen some people spending a night at Mont-Royal cemetery last summer. Ghost hunters or just students, no idea. But they obviously were ready to spend their night there.