Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Haunted Montreal Blog #17: Poltergeist on Sainte-Famille Street

[Français ci-dessous]

Welcome to the seventeenth installment of the Haunted Montreal Blog! Released on the 13th of every month, the September 2016 edition focuses on research we are carrying out on Sainte-Famille Street, where a poltergeist has long been blamed for a paranormal mystery that has been tying people's knickers into knots since 1929. We are also pleased to announce our 2016 Hallowe'en Season with our new Haunted Red Light District Ghost Walk! Please see the Company News for information about the tour and how to book tickets.

Haunted Research

Located in the McGill Ghetto, Sainte-Famille Street is a rare beauty. The bucolic, tree-lined streetscape features stunning Victorian architecture and blissful quietude. Maple, oak, lilac, ginko, and cedar trees overshadow small garden plots bursting with flowers.

At the northern end of the street sits the beautiful, historic chapel of the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital. It almost seems like a utopian oasis quaintly tucked into an urban environment.

However, a paranormal mystery has long-plagued this exquisite street. Since the summer of 1929, mysterious knots have been appearing in one of the homes, tying up curtains and bedsheets and the like. According to various reports, some residents blame the unsolved mystery on a poltergeist.

Apparently the poltergeist was first detected in 1929 on the section of Sainte-Famille Street located between Prince Arthur Street and Pine Avenue. With rumours swirling on the internet, there are many different versions of the tale. Some place the home on Prince Arthur Street, but more trusted sources have it located on Sainte-Famille.

So intriguing was the tale of the poltergeist to author Pat Hancock, that in 2003 she decided to research and write a version of the story, entitled "Nightmare Knots". Written for Scholastic Books, the story is featured in Haunted Canada 1.

In Hancock's version of the tale, a young family living on Sainte-Famille Street became distraught in 1929 when knots began appearing in their towels, curtains and various other items in their home: "in sheets, pillowcases, tablecloths and dishtowels, in socks, shirts, dresses and trousers." Before long, everything that could be knotted was tied into small, tight knots.

The family was frantic and unsure whether it was all the work of a practical joker or something more sinister. The parents began spying on the children and then on each other, but were unable to find any logical answer as to who was tying the cursed knots. Embarrassed and confused, they did not want the bizarre story to reach the general public.

However, a journalist somehow learned about the story and attempted to interview the parents, who insisted on complete anonymity in the final publication. At the end of their wits, the parents contacted religious authorities and asked for some priests to come and bless their home. Two priests arrived from St. Patrick's Church and attempted to exorcise the spirit, but unfortunately they were unsuccessful.

One family member told the journalist: "The spiritualists who came there said that somebody must have cast a spell on the place."  As a last resort the family finally called the cops.

When the police arrived, they were perplexed and did not understand how the knots could have appeared. They searched the home, top to bottom, and interviewed all members of the family separately. One officer thought he detected a foul odor in the basement, raising suspicions that a body had been buried there, which might have accounted for the haunted activity. Using spades and shovels, the police dug up much of the basement but did not discover a decomposing corpse or anything else unusual.

According to the author, the police then devised a plan: "Officers left several handkerchiefs in one of the rooms, and locked and sealed the door behind them." When they returned the following morning and broke the seal, they were baffled to find the handkerchiefs all tied up into knots. Next, the police separated family members again and asked them to tie things into knots. They then compared the knots tied by family members with those found in the handkerchiefs in the room they had sealed. Apparently the police felt that the knots tied by the youngest daughter looked eerily similar to the ones discovered in the handkerchiefs and put the blame on her. They suggested she had probably tied them in a “trance-like state” and decided to close the investigation.

The family members were perturbed because it was logically impossible for their daughter to have tied the knots because the room had been sealed. The family finally decided to move out. One member put their paranormal ordeal in perspective, saying: "And it was terrible. It put knots in everything. I wouldn't live in that house again for a million dollars."

In Hancock's version of the story, the knots stopped appearing in the home after the police investigation. She asks: "Did a ghostly double of the young girl haunt the house for those few months in 1929?"

Others believe that the knots did not stop getting tied in 1929, but rather continued after the family had finally moved out. Apparently, several years later a new tenant maintained that he would also find knots tied in his curtains and bed sheets.

Furthermore, many versions of the tale blame the knot-tying on a tormented poltergeist. The term "poltergeist" comes from two German words (polter: to make noise by throwing or tumbling around, and geist: ghost or spirit). The literal translation of the term is therefore "noisy ghost." While tying knots is generally not seen as a noisy activity, poltergeists are known to wreak all sorts of havoc and it is unlikely one would disappear simply because of a questionable police investigation.

According to Dr. John Ankerberg and Dr. John Weldon of the Ankerberg Theological Research Institute: "Poltergeists are commonly interpreted as troublesome ghosts which haunt houses, causing disturbances and a variety of problems for those who live there. Casual observers often see them as harmless and intriguing or "entertaining" spirits while naturalists and materialists often view them as simple hallucinations."

Before theorizing why a poltergeist might haunt one of the homes on Sainte-Famille Street, it is a good idea to explore the history of the area.

During the era of New France, French colonists had originally named the plateau-like area at the south-eastern foot of Mount Royal "Mont Sainte Famille". Sainte Famille can be translated as "Holy Family", and it was a popular name in ultra-Catholic New France because it refers to the trinity of St. Joseph, Mary and the Baby Jesus.

Members of the Basset family were the first people to own of the site and they cleared the land for farming. In 1730, they ceded it to Les hospitalières de Saint-Joseph, a Catholic organization who used the fertile lands for agriculture to supply the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital, then located within the walled city. Following the British Conquest of 1760, wealthy families from Montreal began to acquire the adjacent lands in order to build luxurious villas on the slopes of Mount Royal.

In the early nineteenth century, the city expanded towards the sloping terrace then called Côte-à-Baron, which was the southern boundary of the Mont Sainte Famille area. Starting around 1840, large estates were subdivided and a few isolated houses were constructed, but the area remained sparsely built. Major urban development only began to appear in 1859, when the Les hospitalières de Saint-Joseph started building a new Hôtel-Dieu Hospital on their land located at Mont Sainte-Famille.

The original Hôtel-Dieu Hospital was founded by nurse Jeanne Mance in what is now Old Montreal, on October 8, 1645. Unfortunately, the hospital was prone to catching fire in the dense neighbourhood, and burned down on three separate occasions. As it continued to grow in size, the hospital moved to its present site near Mount Royal in 1861.

The fresh mountain air was seen as being ideal for recovering patients and a beautiful healing garden was laid out behind the hospital. Not only did the living nuns and patients move to new hospital on the mountain, but they also took all of the remains of the deceased nuns, who were transferred to the chapel's crypt of the new hospital at the end of Sainte-Famille Street. 178 nuns had died over the span of two centuries, however only 23 coffins were needed to transport all of their dusty, skeletal remains.

Sainte-Famille Street was laid out in 1862 in the middle of the property and led directly to the chapel of the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital. Between 1862 and 1864 the religious order gave the City lands south of their hospital in order to open of new streets to attract residents. Hundreds of buildings were erected in the new residential area and the coming of the horse-drawn tram in the 1860s accelerated urbanization. By 1880, the area was fully built up.

Today, the chapel is a dominant feature on the streetscape. Located beside the chapel is the Musée des Hospitalières de l'Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, a museum devoted to the history of the hospital, where visitors can see a magnificent wooden spiral staircase and learn more details about the city's oldest hospital.

Over the centuries, the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital has overseen thousands of deaths, many of them caused by tragedies, epidemics and violence. According to some local residents, it has the feel of an extremely haunted location.

Also, not to be forgotten, on northern end of Sainte-Famille Street is the old D'Arcy McGee High School. Opened on September 21, 1931, it was the first high school that catered to English-speaking Catholic students in Montreal. Because most of the students had Irish roots, the school was named in honour of Thomas D’Arcy McGee.

A Father of Confederation, the statesman and journalist of Irish descent was assassinated in Ottawa on April 7, 1868, allegedly by a man named Patrick James Whelan. While Whelan's ghost is said to haunt the old Carleton County Jail in Ottawa (now a youth hostel), students used to spread rumours that the ghost of Thomas D'Arcy McGee himself would sometimes haunt the corridors of the school that was named in his honour. Unexplained mysteries, such as phantom footsteps and disembodied voices, were frequently attributed to his ghost. Over the decades, the D'Arcy McGee High School educated hundreds of young students, but with declining enrollment, it was shuttered in 1992. The abandoned school was then converted into a condominium complex for wealthy residents.

Meanwhile, on the southern end of the stretch in question a giant mural has recently been painted on the side of a building on the south-west corner of Prince Arthur Street. Some residents believe the mural was inspired by the mysterious knots that make Sainte-Famille Street so infamous.

There is much speculation about hauntings on Sainte-Famille Street, and nobody has any solid answers. That the haunting first appeared in 1929 is interesting historically because that is the year the Great Depression began wreaking havoc on the city's economy. With the collapse of the Stock Market in October of that year, many families were ruined and forced into destitution. Some stock brokers and businesspeople who lost everything are reported to have committed suicide. Could the poltergeist be related to someone who took their own life during the economic crash?

Others believe the nearby crypt and hospital, along with their macabre history, may be responsible for the appearance of the poltergeist. Others still think the ghost of Thomas D'Arcy McGee has something to do with it. There is definitely no consensus.

One elderly man, who prefers to remain anonymous, has lived on Sainte-Famille Street for almost 30 years. He suggested that the poltergeist rumour is well-known among neighbours: "People were talking about the mysterious knots long before I moved onto this street and they still talk about it to this very day. Because nobody knows the exact address of the poltergeist house, it has always been a bit of a game or a past-time to look for knots in the curtains of the windows of the homes to try and solve the mystery."

Furthermore, it is not only the residents in search of the paranormal knots, but also curious visitors who want to find the haunted house. It is not uncommon for strangers to walk slowly up the street, scrutinizing buildings and peering into windows. The elderly gentleman said: "Long before Pokemon Go started irritating people, we have had to deal with endless Peeping Toms on our street in search of those cursed knots. Many of the residents tired of it and replaced their curtains with blinds or shutters."

Indeed, wandering up and down Sainte-Famille Street reveals that most of the windows do not have curtains or drapes, but rather coverings which cannot be knotted, such as Venetian blinds or wooden shutters.

Did the residents get fed up with curiosity-seekers peering into their windows, as suggested by the gentleman?

Whatever the case, whether or not a poltergeist is still active on the street, tying knots in one of the homes, is a matter of pure speculation. There just isn’t enough evidence at this time. Only one thing is certain: to this day, the "nightmare knots" of Sainte-Famille Street are one of the most puzzling and unsolved mysteries in Montreal’s McGill Ghetto.

Company News

For the Hallowe'en Season, Haunted Montreal is pleased to announce a brand new ghost tour: the Haunted Red Light District Ghost Walk!

Today, Montreal's Quartier des Spectacles is famous as a zone for festivals and entertainment. However, most visitors are unaware the most notorious Red Light District in North America once existed on the same site. Not only does it have a very dark and salacious history, but many of its buildings and streets are also reported to be haunted.

Step back in time and experience Montreal in its heyday as a "wide open city"! Discover an era when brothels, gambling dens, booze cans and burlesque halls lined every street and corruption of every type reigned. Guided by a professional actor and storyteller, guests will hear twisted tales and visit sites that are reputed to be haunted and where the ghosts have been spotted.

Hear tales about Montreal's transformation from a strictly religious colony into Sin City and how the clergy tried to stop it at every turn. Visit one of Montreal's ghost streets, where paranormal activity is known to disturb tourists exploring the neighbourhood. Learn about Montreal's Red Light history and how Prohibition prompted millions of visitors to stream in from all over North America looking for a good time.

Discover a haunted hotel where guests experience strange disturbances during the night, thought to be related several murders during the 1980s. Examine an old church that is said to be haunted by its founder, who still visits the parishioners to this very day, albeit in a paranormal manner.

Many theatres, cinemas and performance halls in the Quartier des Spectacles are also rumoured to be haunted. Learn about the spirits that occupy these places, including one creepy apparition who is said to lurk in the basement of the Monument-National, once the site of a deranged Victorian waxworks museum - the Eden Musée.

Hear about some of the notorious characters from the era, such as bank robber Machine-Gun Molly, Burlesque Queen Lili St. Cyr, brothel-owner Marcel Les-Dents-en-Or, and serial killer Dr. Thomas Neill Cream, McGill University's most infamous graduate.

Learn why the Canadian Army demanded that the Red Light District be shut down during WW II and how Mayor Jean Drapeau and police chief Pax Plante tried clean up the unsavory area. Discover how brothel raids, legal battles against corruption, the demolition of entire city blocks, and the rebranding of the entire neighbourhood led to the creation of the Quartier des Spectacles, Montreal's glittering new Entertainment zone. While officials may have tried to erase the district's history and stop all salacious activities in the area, the ghosts of the Red Light District still remain.

The Haunted Red Light District Ghost Walk is sure to please ghost hunters, history buffs, Hallowe'en lovers and those who seek pleasure in the paranormal. The following dates have been set in English:

Friday, October 14 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Saturday, October 15  8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Sunday, October 16 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Friday, October 21 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Saturday, October 22  8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Sunday, October 23 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Friday, October 28 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Saturday, October 29 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Sunday, October 30 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

Monday, October 31 8:30 pm Haunted Red Light

To book tickets, please visit our 2016 Tours section.

Haunted Downtown is currently being revised before translation, but is still available for private tours for groups of 10 or more people (in English only, for the moment). Haunted Griffintown and Haunted Mountain are also available for private bookings, in both English or French, subject to availability.

Finally, we invite clients who attended a ghost walk to write a review on our Tripadvisor page, something that is very helpful for Haunted Montreal in promoting its tours.

For those reading the blog who want to receive a new Montreal ghost story on the 13th of every month and stay updated, please sign up to our mailing list.

Coming up on October 13: Haunted St. Lawrence Burial Ground

In September, 2016, dozens of skeletons were discovered buried underneath René-Lévesque Boulevard in front of the Hydro-Québec headquarters during construction work. This was the location of the St. Lawrence Burial Ground, a Protestant cemetery that served the community from 1797 until the early 1870’s. After being abandoned, a beautiful park called Dufferin Square was laid out on the footprint of the old graveyard. In 1978, the park was expropriated and work began on Complexe Guy-Favreau, a federal government building that was partially built on the old St. Lawrence Burial Ground. Over the years, more than 100 skeletons have been removed from the vicinity, including that of university-founder James McGill. Today, there is no indication of the cemetery's existence, except when digging up the road. In the October edition, learn about the ghosts that are said to haunt the old St. Lawrence Burial Ground and the endless paranormal activity that workers at Complexe Guy-Favreau must contend with to this very day.

Donovan King is a historian, teacher and professional actor. As the founder of Haunted Montreal, he combines his skills to create the best possible Montreal ghost stories, in both writing and theatrical performance. King holds a DEC (Professional Theatre Acting, John Abbot College), BFA (Drama-in-Education, Concordia), B.Ed (History and English Teaching, McGill) and MFA (Theatre Studies, University of Calgary).


BLOGUE MONTRÉAL HANTÉ # 17 - Un esprit frappeur sur Sainte-Famille !

Bienvenue au septième article du blogue de Montréal hanté ! Nos articles paraissent le 13e jour de chaque mois. L’édition du mois de septembre 2016 relate nos recherches sur la rue Sainte-Famille où un esprit frappeur, ou poltergeist, a été blâmé pour des incidents paranormaux : il ferait des noeuds dans les caleçons depuis 1929. Aussi sommes-nous fiers d’annoncer l’ouverture de notre saison d’Halloween 2016 avec notre nouvelle visite du Red Light hanté !

Veuillez voir les Nouvelles pour plus d’information concernant cette visite, et comment réserver vos billets.

Recherche du paranormal

Située dans le ghetto de McGill, la rue Sainte-Famille est d’une rare beauté. La vue de son ambulacre bucolique révèle une architecture victorienne et une quiétude heureuse. Érables, chênes, ginkos et cèdres obombrent de petits pots de jardin aux fleurs écloses.

Dans le coin nord de la rue sied la jolie chapelle historique de l’Hôtel-Dieu. Elle semblerait être une oasis utopique et pittoresque enfouie dans un environnement urbain.

Toutefois, un mystère paranormal a longtemps troublé cette rue charmante. Depuis l’été de 1929, des noeuds sont apparus mystérieusement dans une des maisons, attachant les rideaux, les draps et choses semblables. Selon différents rapports, certains résidents blâment un esprit frappeur pour ce mystère irrésolu.

Apparemment, le frappeur fut détecté en 1929 sur la rue Sainte-Famille entre Prince Arthur et l’Avenue des Pins. Avec toutes les rumeurs répandues sur internet, il existe différentes versions de l’histoire. Certaines situent la maison sur Prince Arthur, d’autres, plus crédibles, la situe sur Sainte-Famille.

L’histoire du frappeur intriguait tant l’auteure Pat Hancock, qu’en 2003 elle fit de la recherche pour écrire une version nommée « Les noeuds du cauchemar ». Écrite pour Scholastic Books, l’histoire est disponible dans Haunted Canada 1.

Dans la version de Hancock, une jeune famille vivant sur Sainte-Famille devint troublée en 1929 quand des noeuds commencèrent a se former dans leurs serviettes, draps et autres objets de la maison : « dans les draps, taies d’oreillers, nappes, torchons, chaussettes, chemises, robes et pantalons. » Bientôt tout ce qui pouvait être attaché en petits noeuds serrés l’était. Irrésolue et surexcitée, la famille se demanda si c’était l’oeuvre d’un blagueur ou quelque chose plus sinistre.

Les parents se mirent à espionner leurs enfants, puis l’un l’autre, mais ne purent trouver une réponse logique au phénomène des noeuds. Confus et humiliés, ils ne voulaient pas que l’histoire étrange atteignît l’oreille du public.

Toutefois, un journaliste l’apprit on ne sait comment et tenta d’interviewer les parents, qui insistèrent que leur anonymat demeurât complet dans la publication finale. À court d’idées, les parents contactèrent les autorités religieuses et demandèrent que des prêtres bénissent leur maison. Deux prêtres de l’église Saint-Patrick vinrent y pratiquer l’exorcisme, mais malheureusement furent sans succès.

Un membre de la famille dit au journaliste : « Les médiums qui sont venus ont dit que quelqu’un y avait sans doute lancé un sort. » Comme dernier ressort, la famille appela la police.

Quand la police arriva, elle était perplexe et ne comprenait pas comment les noeuds auraient pu apparaitre. Elle fouilla la maison, de haut en bas, et interrogea tous les membres de la famille séparément. Un agent crut avoir détecté dans le sous-sol une odeur fétide, suscitant la suspicion qu’un corps y avait peut-être été enterré, ce qui eût expliqué l’activité paranormale. Pelles et bêches en mains, la police creusa une partie du sous-sol, mais n’y trouva aucun corps en décomposition ni d’étrangetés.

Selon l’auteure, la police conçut alors un plan : « Les agents laissèrent plusieurs mouchoirs dans une des chambres et verrouillèrent puis scellèrent la porte derrière eux. » Quand ils y revinrent le lendemain et en brisèrent le sceau, ils furent stupéfaits de trouver les mouchoirs noués. Ensuite, la police sépara les membres de la famille encore et leur demanda de nouer divers tissus. Puis, après avoir comparé les noeuds avec ceux des mouchoirs de la chambre qu’ils avaient condamnée, la police sentit que ceux qui avaient été noués par la fille cadette ressemblaient étrangement à ceux des mouchoirs ; ils blâmèrent donc la fille. La police suggéra qu’elle les avait probablement noués dans un état de « transe », et ils décidèrent de clore l’enquête.

La famille fut perturbée car il était logiquement impossible pour leur fille d’avoir noué les mouchoirs : la chambre avait été scellée ! La famille finit par déménager. Un des membres mit en perspective son épreuve paranormale en disant : « C’était terrible. Ça mettait des noeuds dans tout. Je ne revivrais pas dans cette maison pour un million de dollars. »

Dans la version de Hancock, les noeuds ne se manifestèrent plus après l’enquête policière. Elle demanda : « Un double fantomal de la cadette avait-il vécu dans la maison ces quelques mois, en 1929 ? »

D’autres croient que les noeuds n’arrêtèrent pas de se nouer en 1929, mais plutôt continuaient après que la famille fut enfin déménagée. Apparemment, plusieurs années plus tard, un nouveau locataire disait lui aussi trouver ces rideaux et draps noués.

En outre, plusieurs versions de l’histoire jettent le blâme des noeuds sur un frappeur souffrant. Le terme « esprit frappeur » vient de deux mots allemand (polter : faire du bruit en jetant et en culbutant, et geist : fantôme ou esprit). La traduction littérale du terme est donc « fantôme bruyant ». Bien que nouer ne soit pas, en général, une activité bruyante, les frappeurs sont connus pour leurs dégâts, et il est peu probable qu’ils déguerpissent après une enquête policière douteuse.

Selon les Drs. John Ankerberg et John Weldon de l’Institut de recherche théologique d’Ankerberg : « Les frappeurs sont communément vus comme des fantômes soulants qui hantent les maisons, causant maints dérangements et problèmes aux résidents. Les badauds nonchalants les voient souvent inoffensifs, intrigants ou « divertissants », tandis que les naturalistes et les matérialistes n’y voient que de simples hallucinations. »

Avant de théoriser sur la raison qui mène un frappeur à hanter une des maisons sur Sainte-Famille, c’est une bonne idée d’explorer le passé du lieu.

Au temps de la Nouvelle-France, les colons français avaient nommé la sorte de plateau dans le sud-est du Mont Royal « le Mont Sainte-Famille ». Sainte Famille était un nom populaire dans l’ultra-catholicité néo-française, car elle fait référence à la trinité familiale de saint Joseph, Marie et l’enfant Jésus.

La famille Basset, les premiers colons à posséder le site, en fit une terre fermière. En 1730, ils la cédèrent aux Hospitalières de Saint-Joseph, une congrégation catholique qui utilisa les terres arables pour l’agriculture destinée à l’Hôtel-Dieu ; elles se re-localisèrent intra-muros. Suivant la conquête britannique de 1760, les familles aisées de Montréal commencèrent à acquérir les terres adjacentes pour y bâtir des villas de luxe sur les flancs du Mont-Royal.

Au début du dix-neuvième siècle, la ville s’étendit vers la terrace en pente nommée alors Côte-à-Baron, ce qui était la frontière sud du Mont Sainte-Famille. De larges propriétés, jaillissant vers 1840, furent subdivisées, puis quelques maisons isolées construites, mais le terrain demeura peu habité. La majorité du développement urbain apparut seulement en 1859, quand les Hospitalières de Saint-Joseph bâtirent un nouvel hôpital Hôtel-Dieu sur leur terrain situé sur le Mont Saint-Famille.

L’Hôtel-Dieu originel fut fondé par l’infirmière Jeanne Mance dans ce qui est maintenant le Vieux Montréal, le 8 octobre 1645. Malheureusement, l’hôpital, dans son quartier dense, prenait feu souvent, et brûla au complet à trois occasions. En 1861, ayant considérablement grossi, l’hôpital déménagea sur son présent site près du MontRoyal.

L’air frais du mont était vu comme idéal pour la convalescence des malades, et un jardin thérapeutique fut établi derrière l’hôpital. Non seulement les Soeurs résidentes et les patients déménagèrent au nouvel hôpital sur le mont, mais elles prirent aussi les restes de leurs consoeurs décédées, toutes transférées à la crypte de la chapelle au bout de la rue Sainte-Famille. Au fil de deux siècles, 178 religieuses moururent ; toutefois, 23 cercueils seulement furent requis pour transporter tous leurs ossements poussiéreux.

La rue Sainte-Famille fut étendue en 1862 au milieu de la propriété et menait droit à la chapelle de l’Hôtel Dieu.

Entre 1862 et 1864, la congrégation donna à la ville des terres au sud de son hôpital dans le but d’ouvrir de nouvelles rues pour attirer des résidents. Des centaines de bâtiments furent construits dans le nouveau quartier résidentiel, et l’avènement du tramway à cheval dans les années 1860, accéléra l’urbanisation. Vers 1880, tout était construit.

Aujourd’hui la chapelle est une figure dominante de la rue. Située à ses côtés se trouve le Musée des Hospitalières de l’Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, un musée dédié à l’histoire de l’hôpital, où les visiteurs peuvent voir un magnifique escalier de bois en colimaçon, et apprendre plus de détails sur le plus vieil hôpital de la ville.

Au fil des siècles, l’hôpital de l’Hôtel-Dieu a vu des milliers de morts, dont plusieurs causés par les tragédies, les épidémies et la violence. Mais selon certains résidents du coin, il s’y dégage un air de lieu extrêmement hanté.

Aussi, à ne pas oublier, sur le bout nord de la rue Sainte-Famille est l’ancien lycée de D’Arcy McGee. Ouvert le 21 septembre 1931, ce fut le premier lycée de Montréal à recevoir des étudiants catholiques anglophones. Et comme la plupart des étudiants avaient des racines irlandaises, l’école fut nommée en l’honneur de Thomas D’Arcy McGee.

Un père de la Confédération, homme d’état et journaliste de descendance irlandaise, fut assassiné à Ottawa, le 7 avril 1868, par un prétendument dénommé Patrick James Whelan. Bien qu’il soit dit que son fantôme hante la vieille prison de Carleton County à Ottawa (maintenant une auberge de jeunesse), des étudiants ont répandu des rumeurs que le fantôme de Thomas D’Arcy McGee hanterait parfois les couloirs de l’école nommée en son honneur. Des mystères inexpliqués, tels que des pas fantomaux et des voix désincarnées ont été fréquemment attribués à son fantôme. Au fil des décennies, le lycée de D’Arcy McGee instruisit des centaines de jeunes, mais suite au déclin des inscriptions, ferma ses volets en 1992. L’école abandonnée fut convertie en condominium pour des résidents nantis.

Cependant, au bout sud du tronçon de la rue, a été récemment peinte une muraille sur le côté d’un bâtiment sur le coin sud-ouest de la rue Prince Arthur. Certains résidents croient que la muraille fut inspirée par les noeuds mystérieux qui ont rendu la rue Sainte Famille si mal famée.

Il y a mainte spéculation sur le hantage de la rue Sainte Famille, et personne n’a de réponses concrètes. Qu’ils soient premièrement apparus en 1929 est historiquement intéressant, car c’est l’année que la Grande Dépression ravageait l’économie de la ville. Avec la chute de la Bourse en octobre cette année-là, plusieurs familles, étant ruinées, tombèrent dans l’indigence. Certains agents de change et gens d’affaires, qui avaient tout perdu, sont rapportés s’être tués. L’esprit frappeur serait-il un suicidé du crash économique ?

D’autres croient que la crypte tout près et l’hôpital, avec leur histoire macabre, seraient responsables de l’apparition du frappeur. D’autres pensent toujours que le fantôme de Thomas D’Arcy McGee y est lié. Il n’y a vraiment aucun consensus.

Le vieillard — qui souhaite rester anonyme — a vécu sur Sainte-Famille près de 30 ans. Il a suggéré que la rumeur entourant le frappeur est bien connue des voisins : « Les gens parlaient des noeuds mystérieux bien avant que je déménage sur la rue, et ils en parlent encore aujourd’hui. Parce que personne ne sait l’adresse exacte de la maison du frappeur, ç’a toujours été une sorte de jeu ou un passe-temps de chercher les noeuds dans les rideaux des fenêtres des maisons pour essayer de résoudre le mystère. »

De plus, ce n’est pas seulement les résidents qui cherchent les noeuds paranormaux, mais aussi les visiteurs curieux qui veulent trouver la maison hantée. Ce n’est pas rare que des étrangers marchent lentement le long de la rue en scrutant les bâtiments et en fixant les fenêtres. Le vieillard dit : « Bien avant que Pokemon Go suscita l’irritation des gens, nous avons eu à gérer les éternels voyeurs en quête de ces maudits noeuds. Plusieurs résidents fatigués de cela ont remplacé leurs rideaux par des stores. »

En effet, se promener de haut en bas sur Sainte-Famille révèle que la plupart des fenêtres n’ont pas de rideaux ou de draps, mais des couvertures qui ne peuvent être nouées, comme des stores vénitiens ou des volets de bois.

Les résidents se sont-il lassés des voyeurs curieux fixant leurs fenêtres, tel que suggéré par le gentilhomme ?

Quel qu’en soit le cas, le frappeur soit-il ou non toujours actif sur la rue, attachant des noeuds dans une des maisons, n’est que pure spéculation. À ce jour, la preuve ne conclue rien. Seule une chose est certaine : « les noeuds du cauchemar » de la rue Sainte-Famille sont, jusqu’à maintenant, un des mystères les plus irrésolus et troublants du ghetto de McGill à Montréal.

Nouvelles Hantées

Pour la saison d’Halloween, Montréal hanté a le plaisir d’annoncer une nouvelle visite : le Red Light hanté !

Aujourd’hui, le Quartier des spectacles de Montréal est une zone réputée de festivals et de divertissements. Toutefois, la plupart des visiteurs ignorent que le plus notoire des quartiers rouges de l’Amérique du Nord existait sur ce site même. Non seulement a-t-il eu un passé sombre et salace, mais plusieurs de ses bâtiments et ses rues sont dits être hantés.

Reportons-nous dans le temps et vivons Montréal à l’époque folle où elle était une « ville grande ouverte » ! Découvrons une ère quand les bordels, tripots et théâtres burlesques longeaient chaque rue et la corruption de toutes sortes régnait. Les visiteurs, guidés par un acteur et raconteur professionnel, écouteront des histoires tordues, et visiteront les sites réputés hantés où des fantômes ont été vus.

Écoutez des contes sur Montréal, transformée d’une colonie strictement religieuse à Vice-ville, et comment le clergé a essayé de l’arrêter. Visitez une des rues fantômes de Montréal où la paranormalité est reconnue pour déranger les touristes du quartier. Apprenez l’histoire de son Quartier rouge et comment la prohibition força des millions de visiteurs en quête de plaisir à s'y ruer de partout en Amérique du Nord.

Découvrez un hôtel hanté où les clients vivent, pendant la nuit, des dérangements étranges crus être liés à plusieurs meurtres des années 1980. Examinez une vieille église qui est dite hantée par son fondateur, lequel visiterait ses ouailles, même à ce jour, quoique d’une manière paranormale.

Les rumeurs courent que plusieurs théâtres, cinémas et salles de spectacles dans le Quartier des spectacles sont hantés. Apprenez sur les esprits qui occupent ces lieux, comme celui d’une apparition affreuse qui rôderait dans le sous-sol du Monument-National, autrefois le site d’un musée de cire victorien dérangé — l’Eden musée.

Faites connaissance des personnages notoires de l’époque, tels que la voleuse de banque Monica la mitraille, la reine burlesque Lili St.Cyr, le propriétaire de bordel Marcel Les-Dents-en-Or et le tueur en série, le Dr Thomas Neill Cream, le plus malfamé des diplômés de McGill.

Apprenez pourquoi l’Armée canadienne demanda que le Quartier rouge fût fermé pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, et pourquoi le maire Jean Drapeau et le chef de police Pax Plante essayèrent d’assainir le quartier répugnant. Découvrez comment les raids de lupanars, les batailles juridiques contre la corruption, la démolition de pâtés de maisons entiers et les changements de noms du quartier créèrent le Quartier des spectacles, la nouvelle zone scintillante du divertissement de Montréal. Bien que les responsables aient tenté d’effacer l’histoire du quartier avec sa salacité, ses fantômes eux demeurent toujours.

La visite du Red Light hanté va certainement plaire aux chasseurs de fantômes, aux férus d’histoire, aux mordus d’Halloween et à ceux qui aiment le paranormal. Les dates prochaines en français ont été fixées:

Vendredi 14 octobre       20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Samedi 15 octobre        20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Dimanche 16 octobre     20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Vendredi 21 octobre       20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Samedi 22 octobre        20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Dimanche 23 octobre    20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Vendredi 28 octobre      20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Samedi 29 octobre        20h00    Le Red Light hanté

Dimanche 30 octobre   20h00   Le Red Light hanté

Lundi 31 octobre          20h00    Le Red Light hanté

Pour vos billets, merci de voir l’onglet Circuits 2016.

Si le Centre-ville hanté est actuellement en révision pour être traduit, c’est toujours possible de faire des visites privées de 10 personnes et plus (en anglais seulement pour l’instant). Le Mont-Royal et le Griffintown hantés sont toujours disponibles pour les visites privées, en anglais comme en français, selon la disponibilité.

Enfin, nous invitons les clients qui font les visites d’écrire un commentaire sur notre page Tripadvisor, ce qui est très utile pour la promotion des visites de Montréal hanté.

Et pour ceux qui lisent le blogue, merci de vous abonner à notre liste d’envoi afin de recevoir une nouvelle histoire de fantôme sur Montréal chaque 13e jour du mois.

Bientôt pour le 13 octobre : Le cimetière Saint-Laurent hanté.

En septembre 2016, plusieurs squelettes ont été découverts, enterrés sous le boulevard René-Lévesque devant le siège social d’Hydro-Québec lors des travaux de construction. C’était le cimetière Saint-Laurent, un site d’enterrement protestant qui avait servi à la communauté de 1797 jusqu’au début des années 1870. Après avoir été abandonné, un beau parc, le square Duffin, fut conçu à même le vieux cimetière. En 1978, le parc fut exproprié puis les travaux commencèrent sur le Complexe Guy-Favreau, un édifice fédéral partiellement construit sur le vieux cimetière Saint-Laurent. Au fil des ans, plus de 100 squelettes ont été retirés des environs, incluant celui de James McGill, fondateur de l’université. Aujourd’hui, il n’y a aucune indication de l’existence du cimetière, excepté lorsqu’on creuse la rue. Dans notre édition d’octobre, vous apprendrez sur les fantômes que l’on croit hanter le vieux cimetière Saint-Laurent, et son activité paranormale sans fin que doivent affronter au quotidien, et à ce jour, les employés du Complexe Guy-Favreau.

Donovan King est historien, professeur et acteur professionnel. Fondateur de Montréal Hanté, il coordonne ses talents pour créer les meilleures histoires de fantômes possibles, que ce soit dans la qualité rédactionnelle ou dans la performance théâtrale. Donovan King détient un DEC en Interprétation théâtrale (Collège John Abbot), un Baccalauréat en arts appliqués (Arts dramatiques en éducation, Université Concordia), un Baccalauréat en éducation (Enseignement de l’histoire et de l’anglais, Université McGill) et une Maîtrise en arts appliqués (Études théâtrales, Université de Calgary).


  1. Vraiment très très très intéressant toutes ces histoires-là mais pour avoir vécu 4 ans sur la rue Ste Famille, juste avant le D'arcy collège, jamais je n'avais entendu parler de toutes ces histoires de fantômes qui font des noeuds etccc...De plus, nous y avons habité 5 personnes dans ce logement sur Ste Famille ?!?!?Et jamais nous avons eu vent de quoique ce soit ( de 1970-1974 ). Bref, merci beaucoup pour cette lecture qui m'a énormément intéressé !!!

  2. Vraiment très très très intéressant toutes ces histoires-là mais pour avoir vécu 4 ans sur la rue Ste Famille, juste avant le D'arcy collège, jamais je n'avais entendu parler de toutes ces histoires de fantômes qui font des noeuds etccc...De plus, nous y avons habité 5 personnes dans ce logement sur Ste Famille ?!?!?Et jamais nous avons eu vent de quoique ce soit ( de 1970-1974 ). Bref, merci beaucoup pour cette lecture qui m'a énormément intéressé !!!