Monday, 12 October 2015

Haunted Montreal Blog #6: Haunted Griffintown Tour & McLennan Library Ghost

[Français ci-dessous]

Welcome to the sixth installment of the Haunted Montreal Blog! Released on the 13th of every month, the October edition focuses our new ghost tour - Haunted Griffintown, plus research we are carrying out into the McLennan Library at McGill University.

For the 2015 Hallowe'en Season, all of Haunted Montreal's ghost walks can be booked for private groups and are scheduled in the public season!

 Company News

Haunted Montreal is pleased to announce Haunted Griffintown, a brand new ghost walk for the 2015 Hallowe'en Season!

Griffintown is one of Montreal's most historic neighborhoods - and one of its most haunted. The area has witnessed everything from dying Irish refugees during the Famine of 1847 to the Industrial Revolution to Montreal's worst air disaster. Today, condominium towers are sprouting up in the Griff, but new residents are learning that the area was once a rowdy shantytown - and it's also ghost-ridden!

The Haunted Griffintown Ghost Walk visits mysterious ruins, abandoned tunnels, a polluted canal, former burial grounds and creepy old buildings that are said to be haunted. A vacant, decrepit brewery hosts psychics in search of a murdered girl, a condominium reminds locals of its past as a chocolate factory, and the ghostly ruins of St. Ann's Church sometimes produce paranormal activity.

Guests will learn about Black '47, when the area witnessed one of Canada's worst tragedies, as tens of thousands of typhus-stricken Irish immigrants disembarked from "coffin ships" after crossing the Atlantic Ocean. Despite heroic efforts by nuns and Mayor John Mills to care for the sick in fever sheds, the disease killed over six thousand people, including the Mayor himself. Most of the dead were buried in nearby mass graves, only to be disturbed again and again by industrial activity.

There is also the tragic mystery of the Peel Basin, the site of many drownings over the years, including one recent case that may be connected to a will-o'-the-wisp - or a serial killer. Conspiracy theories also surround Montreal's worst air disaster, when a Liberator Bomber slammed into the neighborhood, killing 15 people during WW II.

Finally, the Griff is the setting for the tale of Mary Gallagher, the headless prostitute. Montreal's most infamous ghost story, she was murdered and decapitated by her best friend Susie Kennedy in 1879. The headless ghost of Mary Gallagher is said to return to the Griff every seven years, still searching for her head!

For the 2015 Hallowe'en Season, Haunted Montreal is pleased to offer Haunted Griffintown on the following dates:

Friday, October 16 at 8 PM
Saturday, October 17 at 8PM
Friday, October 23 at 8 PM
Saturday, October 24 at 8PM
Friday, October 30 at 8 PM
Saturday, October 31 at 8 PM

The Ghost Walk begins at 8 pm at the Griffintown Café (1378 rue Notre Dame Ouest, a few blocks south of Lucien L'Allier Metro). Guests should arrive at least 10 minutes before the tour starts to check in. For those wishing to dine or have drinks and tapas before the ghost walk, Haunted Montreal recommends making reservations at the Griffintown Café, an artistic bistro-pub with an exceptional menu. Click here for more information and to book tickets.

For the 2015 Hallowe'en Season, Haunted Montreal is also offering final visits for both Haunted Downtown (Sunday, October 18 at 8 PM) and Haunted Mountain (Sunday, October 25 at 8 PM).

We invite our clients who attended a ghost walk to write a review on our Tripadvisor page, something that helps Haunted Montreal promote its tours.

Haunted Research

In addition to the extensive research being carried out into Griffintown, Haunted Montreal has also been studying the mysterious spirit who haunts McGill University's imposing McLennan Library.
The words "In the quiet still air of delightful studies" are inscribed in the wall beside an outdoor staircase at the McLennan Library. However, according to rumours, the still air on the 6th floor is sometimes compromised by a spirit who is also known to disrupt the quietude and delightful studies that McGill is renowned for - by startling and terrifying unsuspecting students!

Allegedly the 6th floor of the McLennan Library is haunted by the ghostly apparition of an elderly man who wears a strange old coat. He is known to float quietly above the floor, sometimes towards students who are deep in a book or librarians stacking the shelves. Once he selects his target, the apparition is known to glide up behind a person, then lurk, almost perfectly still. He stares intently at his victim until he is noticed. When the startled person reacts, usually by screaming and jumping up from their chair, this ghost is known to vanish into thin air, leaving the victim embarrassed for having disturbed the quietude that makes the McLennan Library famous.

There is very little information as to who this apparition is or why he is haunting the 6th floor of the library. The concrete Brutalist structure housing the library dates to 1969, but it was built on the grounds where an elegant 19th-century mansion once stood. The beautiful home was named “Dilcoosha”, a Hindustani word often given by Indian princes and nobles to their garden palaces, meaning "The Heart's Delight". This exquisite home was originally the residence of Jesse Joseph, a prominent Montreal financier.

Dilcoosha was one of many elaborate mansions in Montreal’s Golden Square Mile. Designed in an exotic style known as Egyptian Renaissance, Dilcoosha featured high ceilings, a lavish interior, opulent furnishings, a curved central stairway and a charming circular upper hall with alcoves for statuary. Outside, a handsome garden burst with fragrant blooms. Jesse Joseph loved gardening and meticulously planned the grounds of Dilcoohsa to ensure a profusion of colourful flowers from spring to autumn.

In life, Jesse Joseph was an energetic, life-long bachelor who enjoyed living in the aristocratic tradition, which included hosting and entertaining the city’s elite with lavish and elaborate parties in his resplendent mansion.

In the summer, outsiders paused to admire Dilcoosha's gardens and even in the winter people gathered there. The Snowshowing Club assembled there, at the foot of McTavish Street. After lighting up fiery torches, they would ascended Mount Royal in a column. Clambering away on their snowshoes, they would often holler at the tomb of fur baron Simon McTavish on the way up to the summit, allegedly to "rouse his spirit". On these dark and frosty nights, from the city below it appeared as though a fiery snake was slinking its way up the mountain through the barren forest.

As the owner of Dilcoosha, Jesse Joseph enjoyed the attention he received. As a Jewish businessman with many interests, he served as president of both the Montreal Gas Company and the City Passenger Railway. He also operated the Theatre Royale, the Montreal’s finest theatre, promoted trade between Canada and Belgium (earning him the title of “Belgian consul in Montreal”), held vast real-estate holdings in the city and was a member of the executive for the SPCA. Ever the proud gardener, Jesse Joseph also spent countless hours in the winter planning his meticulous garden, which was said to be one of the most beautiful in the Golden Square Mile. Overall, Jesse Joseph enjoyed his reputation as a man of extremely refined taste. He died in 1904 at the age of 86. 

Business interests purchased Dilcoosha with the hope of demolishing it to erect a luxurious Ritz-Carleton hotel on the site. However, a McGill benefactor named Sir William MacDonald objected, suggesting that Dicoosha should be incorporated into the campus instead. With his powerful business connections, in 1909 MacDonald was able to shelve plans for the hotel and buy the property, which he promptly gifted to McGill University.

During World War I, Dilcoosha served as a headquarters for the McGill chapter of the COTC, or Canadian Officer Training Corps. McGill University was active in recruiting and training soldiers from among its student body. Officers in training used the long upstairs hall at Dilcoosha as a target practice range, something Jesse Joseph would not have approved of.

After the War, in 1919, Dilcoosha was transformed into the first McCord Museum. McGill inherited the extensive collections of David McCord, an eccentric municipal lawyer who had spent much of his life collecting rare objects associated with Canadian history. Dilcoosha, despite being bullet-ridden, was seen as an ideal place to house and display McGill University’s new Canadian artifact collection.

In 1955, university officials detected structural problems in one of the walls at Dilcoosha. By now the lavish home was starting to appear faded and worn, so a decision was made to demolish it. The McCord artifacts were relocated to the Hodgeson House on Drummond and Dr. Penfield Streets, and Dilcoosha was unceremoniously torn down. The once beautiful garden and exotic mansion were replaced with a weed-choked, vacant lot. There was some speculation at the time that, due to Dilcoosha’s demolition, Jesse Joseph was rolling over in his grave.

After sitting empty for 12 years, the lot on the north-east corner of Sherbrooke and McTavish Streets was finally re-developed. Between 1967 and 1969, the McLennan Library, was constructed in the Brutalist style. It was named in honour of Isabella McLennan, a benefactor who had given McGill University a small fortune to purchase books. The firm Dobush, Stewart, and Bourke built the towering, seven-storey structure using reinforced concrete. The chosen style was Brutalist.

Brutalism is a movement in architecture that flourished from the 1950s to the mid-1970s. Part of the modernist movement, Brutalist buildings were usually designed using banal, angular shapes and constructed with reinforced concrete. The focus was on utility and not style.

In many ways, the Brutalist architecture of McLennan Library is the exact opposite of Dilcoosha’s Egyptian Renaissance style. While Dilcoosha succeeded in being exotic, magnificent and exceptional, much like its owner Jesse Joseph, the McLennan Library is probably best described as soulless, banal and non-descript.

While there is no evidence identifying the ghost haunting the 6th floor, there is strong speculation that the floating spirit is none other than Jesse Joseph himself. The most common description about this ghost is his “strange, old coat”, and old photographs of Jesse Joseph depict him wearing just that.

Many ghost stories involve people who, having died, return as spirits to sites of special significance. Did the ghost of Jesse Joseph remain at Dilcoosha after his death in 1904? The idea is perhaps not so far-fetched, especially given his love for his exotic mansion, beautiful garden, and his reputation as a man of the very best epicurean taste.

If so, Jesse Joseph’s spirit would have witnessed his once-magnificent home fade into disuse before being hawked on the market, used for target practice by rambunctious students, and being jammed full of Canadian artifacts before its unceremonious demolition. The unique and beautiful Dilcoosha, once his pride and joy, was no more. Instead, the ugly, concrete, Brutalist McLennan Library went up on the site.

While it is perfectly feasible that the specter haunting stacks of the library may indeed be Jesse Joseph, there is no explanation as to why he only haunts the 6th floor. One thing is certain - as a spirit known to float through the air, he would certainly have no difficulty getting all the way to the top of the McLennan Library.  

Coming up on November 13: Haunted Wellington Tunnel. Hidden away in Griffintown, just off Wellington Street near the Lachine Canal bridge, lies a series of decrepit, abandoned tunnels. Covered in graffiti and protected by prison-like iron bars, the creepy Wellington Tunnel and surrounding area is rumoured to be haunted by the phantom of a boy wearing a suit. Constructed during the Great Depression in 1931, the various tunnels served cars, pedestrians and tramways, allowing ships on the canal to move more quickly. Previously, a swing bridge was located on the site. The tunnel developed a reputation as a filthy, fume-clogged, and dangerous place and was abandoned in 1995. Who is the young, well-dressed phantom haunting the vicinity?

Donovan King is a historian, teacher and professional actor. As the founder of Haunted Montreal, he combines his skills to create the best possible Montreal ghost stories, in both writing and theatrical performance. King holds a DEC (Professional Theatre Acting, John Abbot College), BFA (Drama-in-Education, Concordia), B.Ed (History and English Teaching, McGill) and MFA (Theatre Studies, University of Calgary).

Haunted Montréal Blogue#6: Le tour de fantômes Haunted Griffintown et l'esprit de la bibliothèque McLennan

Voici venue la sixième édition du Blogue de Haunted Montréal! Disponible le 13 de chaque mois, l’édition d’octobre dévoile notre nouveau tour de fantômes Haunted Griffintown ainsi que les résultats des recherches que nous avons menées dans la bibliothèque McLennan de l’université McGill.

Des tours de fantômes ouverts à tous ou en réservations privées sont offerts pour Haunted Griffintown, Haunted Downtown Montréal et Haunted Mountain.

Haunted Nouvelles

Haunted Montréal est heureux d'annoncer un nouveau tour de fantômes pour la saison d’Halloween 2015, Haunted Griffintown!

Griffintown est un des quartiers les plus historiques de Montréal, mais aussi un des plus hanté. Cette partie de la ville a été témoin de multiples événements marquants, depuis l’arrivée des réfugiés irlandais lors de la famine de 1847, à la révolution industrielle, en passant par la pire catastrophe aérienne que Montréal ait connue. Aujourd’hui les tours de condominiums s’y multiplient mais les nouveaux résidents ne sont pas sans savoir que ce secteur était autrefois un bidonville bruyant et que les fantômes y sont courants!

La visite du Griffintown hanté vous fera découvrir des ruines mystérieuses, des tunnels abandonnés, un canal pollué, d’anciens cimetières et des bâtiments effrayants réputés hantés. Vous verrez qu’une antique brasserie décrépie accueille des médiums à la recherche d’une jeune fille assassinée, qu’un condominium rappelle aux résidents son passé de chocolaterie et que les ruines fantomatiques de l’église St. Ann sont parfois témoins d’activités paranormales.

Vous allez en apprendre davantage sur le « Black’47 », quand le quartier fut frappé par l’une des pires tragédies canadiennes alors que des dizaines de milliers d’immigrants irlandais atteints du typhus débarquèrent de « bateaux cercueils » après avoir traversé l’océan Atlantique. Malgré les efforts héroïques des sœurs et du maire John Mills pour soigner dans des hangars les victimes de la fièvre, la maladie a tué plus de six mille personnes, incluant le maire lui-même. La plupart des défunts furent enterrés dans des fosses communes avoisinantes qui ne finissent pas d’être en proie à l’activité industrielle.

Vous découvrirez également le mystère tragique qui entoure le bassin Peel, site de nombreuses noyades au fil des ans, dont un cas récent qui pourrait être celui d’un tueur en série. Vous serez également initié à la théorie de conspiration qui entoure la pire catastrophe aérienne qu’ait connue Montréal, quand lors de la Seconde Guerre mondiale une bombe d’un Liberator s’est écrasée dans le quartier, faisant 15 morts.

Enfin, vous entendrez parler du conte dérangeant de Marie Gallagher, la prostituée sans tête, l’histoire de fantôme la plus tristement célèbre de Montréal. Elle s’est faite assassinée et décapitée par sa meilleure amie Susie Kennedy en 1879. Le fantôme sans tête de Marie Gallagher est dit revenir tous les sept ans dans Griffintown, en quête de sa tête.

Pour la saison d’Halloween 2015, Haunted Montréal est heureux d’offrir le tour Haunted Griffintown aux dates suivantes :

Vendredi 16 octobre à 20h00
Samedi 17 octobre à 20h00
Vendredi 23 octobre à 20h00
Samedi 24 octobre à 20h00
Vendredi 30 octobre à 20h00
Samedi 31 octobre à 20h00

Le tour de fantômes commence à 20h00 au Café Griffintown, un bistro-pub artistique au menu exceptionnel(1378 rue Notre Dame Ouest, à quelques coins de rue au sud de la station de métro Lucien L'Allier). Veillez à être prêts à décoller du Café Griffintown au moins 10 minutes avant le début de la visite. Haunted Montréal recommande fortement à ceux et celles qui souhaiteraient souper ou prendre un verre avec des tapas, avant le tour des fantômes, de faire une réservation au Café Griffintown. Cliquez ici pour plus d’information et ici pour acheter des billets.

Pour la saison d’Halloween 2015, Haunted Montréal offre également les dernières visites pour ses tours Haunted Downtown (dimanche 18 octobre à 20h00) et Haunted Mountain (dimanche 25 octobre à 20h00).

Nous invitons ceux et celles d’entre vous qui auraient assisté à un tour des fantômes à donner leur avis sur notre page TripAdvisor.

* Pour le moment, les tours sont uniquement présentés en anglais.

Haunted Recherches

En plus des recherches approfondies menées dans Griffintown, Haunted Montréal s’est penché sur l'esprit mystérieux qui hante l’imposante bibliothèque McLennan de l'université McGill.

Les mots « In the quiet still air of delightful studies » (dans l’ambiance paisible et silencieuse de délectables études) sont inscrits sur le mur qui jouxte un escalier extérieur de la bibliothèque McLennan. Pourtant, si l’on en croit les rumeurs, la tranquillité ambiante du sixième étage est parfois compromise par un esprit qui est quant à lui réputé pour perturber la quiétude et les études délectables qui font la renommée de McGill – en surprenant et en terrifiant des étudiants sans méfiance!

Le sixième étage de la bibliothèque McLennan est prétendument hanté par l’apparition spectrale d’un vieil homme portant un étrange manteau. Il est connu pour flotter tranquillement au-dessus du sol, tantôt en direction d’étudiants profondément plongés dans un livre ou encore de bibliothécaires qui s’affairent à remplir les étagères. Une fois qu’elle a choisi sa cible, l’apparition est réputée pour se glisser derrière celle-ci et se cacher en restant presque tout à fait immobile. Elle fixe alors sa victime jusqu’à ce que celle-ci le remarque. Quand la personne se met tout à coup à réagir, habituellement en bondissant de sa chaise et en criant, le fantôme est dit se métamorphoser dans les airs, laissant alors la victime honteuse d’avoir brisé le silence serein qui fait que la bibliothèque McLennan est si prisée.

Il y a très peu d’information quant à savoir qui pourrait être cette apparition et la raison pour laquelle elle hanterait le sixième étage de la bibliothèque. Le squelette de béton qui héberge la librairie date de 1969 mais il fut bâtit sur un terrain où était érigé jadis un élégant manoir du 19e siècle. La belle demeure était nommée « Dilcoosha », un mot hindoustani souvent utilisé par les princes et nobles indiens pour désigner le jardin de leur palais et qui signifie « joie de l’âme ». Cette exquise résidence était originellement celle de Jesse Joseph, un financier montréalais au franc succès.

Dilcoosha était l'une des nombreuses demeures élaborées du Mile carré doré de Montréal. Conçu dans un style exotique connu sous le nom de renaissance égyptienne, Dilcoosha arborait des hauts plafonds, un intérieur somptueux, des meubles opulents, un escalier central tout en courbes et à l’étage une charmante salle circulaire avec des alcôves pour les statues. À l’extérieur, on trouvait un magnifique jardin de fleurs parfumées. Jesse Joseph aimait le jardinage et avait méticuleusement planifié les parterres de Dilcoosha pour garantir une profusion de fleurs colorées du printemps à l’automne.

Dans la vie, Jesse Joseph était un énergique célibataire endurci qui aimait vivre dans la tradition aristocratique. Il appréciait recevoir et divertir l’élite montréalaise en organisant des fêtes somptueuses et élaborées dans sa maison resplendissante.

En été, les passants s’arrêtaient pour admirer le jardin de Dilcoosha et on trouvait des rassemblements de personnes devant la maison même en hiver. Un club de raquette se constitua là, au pied de la rue McTavish. Après avoir enflammé des torches, ils gravissaient le Mont-Royal en rang les uns derrière les autres. Grimpant au loin avec leurs raquettes, ils se seraient souvent recueillis sur la tombe du baron de la fourrure Simon McTravish sur leur chemin vers le sommet, prétendument pour « stimuler son esprit ». Lors de ses sombres nuits glaciales, le cortège ressemblait, vu de la ville en-dessous, à un serpent de feu qui gravissait furtivement la montagne à travers la forêt clairsemée.

Fier propriétaire de Dilcoosha, Jesse Joseph appréciait l'attention qu'il recevait. En tant qu’homme d’affaires juif aux nombreux intérêts, il fut président de la compagnie de gaz de Montréal et de la City Passenger Railway. Il a aussi exploité le Théâtre Royal, le plus beau théâtre de Montréal, encouragé le commerce entre le Canada et la Belgique (ce qui lui a valu le titre de « consul de la Belgique à Montréal »), géré le vaste patrimoine immobilier de la ville et il fut même membre exécutif de la SPCA. Par la suite, le fier jardinier Jesse Joseph a également passé d’innombrables heures hivernales à planifier méticuleusement son jardin, qui était dit l’un des plus beaux du Mile carré doré. Globalement, Jesse Joseph embrassait sa réputation d’homme aux goûts extrêmement raffinés. Il mourut en 1904 à l’âge de 86 ans.

Dilcoosha fut achetée avec des intérêts commerciaux, dans l’espoir de la démolir pour ériger sur le site un luxurieux hôtel Ritz-Carleton. Cependant, un bienfaiteur de McGill nommé Sir William MacDonald s’y opposa, suggérant à la place l’incorporation de  Dilcoosha au campus. Grâce à ses puissantes relations d’affaires, MacDonald fut en mesure d’écarter les plans de l’hôtel et en 1909 il racheta la propriété et l’offrit promptement à l’université McGill.

Pendant la première guerre mondiale, Dilcoosha servit de quartier général pour le chapitre du COTC de McGill ou le contingent McGill du Corps-École d'officiers canadiens. L’université McGill était active dans le recrutement et la formation des officiers parmi ses étudiants. Les officiers en formation utilisaient le long hall situé à l’étage de Dilcoosha pour se pratiquer au tir ciblé, quelque chose que Jesse Joseph n’aurait vraiment pas approuvé.

Après la guerre, en 1919, Dilcoosha devint le premier musée McCord. McGill avait hérité des vastes collections de David McCord, un avocat municipal excentrique qui avait passé une grande partie de sa vie à collectionner des objets rares en lien avec l’histoire du Canada. Dilcoosha, bien qu’elle fût criblée de balles, fut considérée comme un endroit idéal pour accueillir et mettre en valeur la nouvelle collection d’artefacts canadiens de l’université McGill.

En 1955, des fonctionnaires universitaires détectèrent des problèmes structuraux dans l’un des murs de Dilcoosha. Dès lors, la somptueuse demeure  commença à apparaître comme délabrée et ladécision de la démolir fut adoptée. Les artefacts de McCord furent relocalisés dans la maison Hodgeson au coin des rues Drummond et Dr. Penfield, et Dilcoosha fut mise à terre sans management. Le magnifique jardin et le radieux manoir furent remplacés par un terrain vague de mauvaises herbes. Dès lors, des rumeurs circulèrent sur le fait que Jesse Joseph s’était retourné dans sa tombe.

Après être resté en jachère pendant 12 ans, le lot situé au coin nord-est des rues Sherbrooke et McTravish fut finalement reconverti. Entre 1967 et 1969, la librairie McLennan vit le jour. Elle fut nommée en l’honneur d’Isabella McLennan, une bienfaitrice qui avait donné à l’université McGill une petite fortune pour acheter des livres. C’est la firme Dobush, Stewart et Bourke qui construisit la structure imposante en béton armé de sept étages. Le style qui avait alors été choisi fut le brutaliste.

Le brutalisme est un mouvement architectural qui a prospéré des années 1950 jusqu’au milieu des années 70. Dans la lignée du mouvement moderniste, les bâtiments brutalistes arboraient généralement des formes angulaires de base et étaient  conçus en béton armé. L’accent était mis sur l’utilité et non le style.

À bien des égards, l’architecture brutaliste de la librairie McLennan est l’exact opposé du style renaissance égyptienne de Dilcoosha. Alors que Dilcoosha fut connue pour être tout aussi exotique, magnifique et exceptionnelle que son propriétaire Jesse Joseph, la librairie McLennan est probablement davantage décrite comme étant banale, sans âme et inintéressante.

Bien qu’il n’y ait aucune preuve qui permette d’identifier le fantôme qui hante le sixième étage, il y a une forte probabilité que l’esprit flottant ne soit nul autre que Jesse Joseph lui-même. La description la plus commune de ce fantôme porte sur son « étrange vieux manteau » et de vieilles photographies de Jesse Joseph le montre justement porter un manteau qui pourrait être dépeint ainsi.

De nombreuses histoires de fantômes impliquent des personnes qui, une fois décédée, reviennent comme esprits sur les lieux qui leur sont chers. Est-ce que le fantôme de Jesse Joseph est resté à Dilcoosha après sa mort en 1904? Cette hypothèse n’est peut-être pas si farfelue quand on connaît son amour pour son manoir exotique et son merveilleux jardin, ainsi que sa réputation d’homme aux goûts les plus épicuriens.

Si tel est le cas, l’esprit de Jesse Joseph aurait été témoin de la décrépitude de sa magnifique demeure avant qu’elle n’eut été mise sur le marché, utilisée pour la pratique du tir par des élèves turbulents et remplie d’artefacts canadiens avant d’être finalement démolie sans aucune cérémonie. L’unique et magnifique Dilcoosha qui faisait sa joie et sa fierté n’était plus. À la place, surgit la laide, bétonnée et brutaliste librairie McLennan.

Alors qu’il est parfaitement  possible que le spectre qui hante les allées de la librairie soit Jesse Joseph, il n’y a aucune explication sur la raison pour laquelle il hanterait uniquement le sixième étage. Une chose est sûre, étant un esprit connu pour flotter dans les airs, il n’aurait donc aucune difficulté à se frayer un chemin jusqu’au dernier étage de la librairie McLennan.

À venir le 13 novembre: Haunted tunnel de Wellington. Cachée dans Griffintown, juste à côté de la rue Wellington, près du pont du canal Lachine, se trouve une série de tunnels abandonnés et décrépits. Couverts de graffitis et protégés par des barreaux de fer semblables à ceux des enceintes carcérales, le terrifiant tunnel Wellington et ses environs sont réputés pour être hantés par le fantôme d’un garçon vêtu d’un costume. Construits durant la Grande dépression de 1931, les différents tunnels ont servi aux voitures, aux piétons et aux tramways, permettant ainsi aux navires sur le canal de se déplacer plus rapidement. Auparavant, on avait recourt à un pont tournant. Le tunnel a développé une réputation d’endroit sale et dangereux, bouché par la fumée, et fut abandonné en 1995. Mais qui est ce jeune fantôme bien habillé qui hante les environs?7

Donovan King est historien, professeur et acteur professionnel. Fondateur de Haunted Montréal, il coordonne ses talents pour créer les meilleures histoires de fantômes possibles, que ce soit dans la qualité rédactionnelle ou dans la performance théâtrale. Donovan King détient un DEC en Interprétation théâtrale (Collège John Abbot), un Baccalauréat en arts appliqués (Arts dramatiques en éducation, Université Concordia), un Baccalauréat en éducation (Enseignement de l’histoire et de l’anglais, Université McGill) et une Maîtrise en arts appliqués (Études théâtrales, Université de Calgary).

No comments:

Post a Comment